Saturday 25 July 2009

Overclocking and my fan love affair

Fans. I'm not talking about people who adore you - I'm talking PC fans.
I've never been a huge over-clocker - sorry, let me re-phrase that - I've never been an over-clocker. For those who don't know, over-clocking is pretty much "making your PC work harder than recommended". I always wanted to toy with it, but previously having Athlon processors in my systems, they were already technically over-clocked by AMD, caused the high temperatures that my boards didn't like (except Asus, whose motherboards dealt with it).

I custom-built a quad-core setup just after Christmas, so now, with my Q8200 (2.33GHz per core as stock) I managed to oc it by 5% bringing it to 2.45GHz per core. I'm pretty happy with that - any more than that would be greedy in my opinion. If I knew what I was doing, I might continue (My current board is an Asus P5W). I had it at 2.52GHz per core, but feel slightly uncomfortable with more than 5% at this time...

Using SpeedFan, the temperatures at the moment are ranging from 45 to 55 degrees celcius. My heatsink is an "OCZ tecnology Gladiator" which quite frankly, I think is pretty awesome.

Other fans in my case included a fan at the front bringing air in, a fan on the side of the case, also in, and two fans at the back, blowing out.
What I've recently decided to do, is move the 3 fans on the side/back to join the one at the front. Now I've four fans at the bottom-front, which is great, as they blow nice cool air over my three hard drives.

I am just waiting on my three new fans (blue and red LED - just for fun - as my side panel has a see-through section) which I shall place on the side and back.

I know this is weird, but I'm really excited about having them all in my case!

I've always loved putting in fans in my cases, and I don't know why. I know you can have fan overkill, doing more damage than less fans, but I'm going to thoroughly make sure the air-flow is good before I keep it that way.

My system will be nicely refreshed on a hot summer day now :)

Digiman out.

No comments:

Post a Comment