Friday 21 August 2009

Extending Wireless Networks (my way)

My wireless router is pretty much dead center in the house, but we've got a long house - so the signal doesn't reach either end. It has never bothered me, because my room is directly above the router. It never bothered my brother because his room is right next to mine. It won't bother my sister when she gets her laptop as her room is right beside the study where the router is, and it doesn't bother my dad because he uses a desktop which is wired to the router.

However, it does bother my mum, who also got a laptop - with wireless N. The wireless signal just isn't strong enough to go the places she wants to use her laptop in - her bedroom, the sitting room, or the lounge. I can sympathise.

So I've decided to help. The network topology in my house is pretty awesome, I'm not gonna lie to you.

We've got a Belkin G+ mimo router in the study - the 4 ports are all used up by - my dad's desktop, my sister's desktop, a networked laser printer, and finally, the last port is used by my 16-port switch in the attic. (I may note at this point that my attic is accessable through a door in my room, so it's no big issue).

My 16 port switch has enabled me to have a lot of fun. Not normal fun - geeky fun. I'll explain.
Below: My awesome wall-mounted 16 port switch (with room for expansion!)


The first port in my switch accepts the ethernet cable my dad ran up to the attic initially a number of years ago for my PC. Ports two to five run to the corner of my room, where I've installed a 4-port ethernet plate. It gives network access to: My PC, my LAN hard drive, and my Print Server, plus one for spare when I'm working on other desktops)
Below: My awesome 4-port wall mounted ethernet plate (installed vertically so my desk could get closer to the wall) Drilling through walls is fun :D
Port six runs to the sitting-room, where the media PC was initially, and finally port seven runs to the lounge, where it currently resides. A 40" TV as a monitor is kickin', by the way!
By far, the most fun I had was wiring everything up. Seriously.

So, that now brings me back to the problem at hand - I can have a lot of wired devices, but what about the wireless range?
Well - you can extend your wireless range using standard Cable Routers - ones that accept ethernet connections, not DSL phone line connections - for internet.


My cable router of choice is the D-Link DIR-635 - it's wireless N and sports 3 antennae. Nifty.

The other reason - the removable antennae.




The plan of action is to get two 6m SMA extension cables, and run one cable towards my brother's room (above my parents' room) and one to the right, above the main hall - (near the sitting room and lounge). I can do all this along the attic, so no visible wires! I'll leave the center antenna attached to the router for central-coverage.

It's wireless N, so will support the latest laptop cards etc, but also backwards compatable with b and g options, so will continue to work with mine.
Some configuring will be required.

First of all, I'll change the IP range of my Belkin to 192.168.2.1 - 192.168.2.100
I'll then change the IP range of the D-Link to 192.168.2.101 - 192.168.2.255

Then, I'll need to configure the D-Link to have the same network name (SSID), and security - the same key and encryption method.
Once complete, the D-Link will offer complete wireless access around my house.

Depending on how well the Dlink performs, I may actually disable the wireless option on the Belkin, and see if that improves things again. The last thing I need is some kind of interference issue!

I've done this all before at my church, so it's my tried-and-tested way of doing it! (I've heard mixed things from wireless Access Points so decided on this way)

Digiman out

1 comment:

  1. The first part of your post thoroughly entertained me!! But when it got technical I didn't really understand but I still read it!!!!

    ReplyDelete