Monday 3 August 2009

Where in the world? Not PC World!!

Speaking of Apple adverts...
I recently saw a PC World advert advertising a Dell laptop with, and I quote, "a 3 gig memory".
Puh-lease!
Another reason to dislike/make fun/get annoyed by PC World.

Of course, it was spoken from the perspective of a woman more excited about the colour of the laptop, as opposed to what was actually in it hardware wise. "Ohhh that'll go well with my new dress!" she exclaims.
What's that? It's pink? Well, what are the specs? It has a 3 gig memory? Don't you mean "it has 3 Gigabytes OF memory?" What about the processor? Hard drive? Graphics? What? You didn't think about mentioning that, and they don't matter, because it's pink?

Who writes these adverts anyway? Would it be too much to ask that the ads get checked over by someone competent enough to actually understand and use the correct terminology?
I had no idea what kind of processor was in it, until the "Intel Celeron Inside" logo was displayed.

Hah - Celerons. You think PC World are finally offering a decent laptop for £359. I wondered why they didn't mention the processor. I like Intel, they are my main preference, but of the Pentium variety. Celerons are improving, but they will suffer as software becomes more demanding than it already is.

Never, ever, ever choose a Celeron if you can help it. We always say "oh, I'll just get a laptop for using Word and sending emails on the go - but it never works that way - we will use it for everything. Just pay the extra £30 or £40 (if that) and upgrade to a Pentium, seriously. You won't regret it.

PC World have some good points too of course. Here's one, anyway. A few years ago I picked up a 5.1 Sound Card for under £8, which worked well with Vista. Got it for cheaper than anywhere else too. I even made a point of positively reviewing my local brance on the net when I got home. I may have been the only one...

Anyway, if you're buying a Dell, just go to www.dell.co.uk - it's usually cheaper and you can customise it exactly how you want. You cut out the (unneccessary) middle man.

I love ranting. Try it.
Digiman out.

No comments:

Post a Comment